A pregnant woman in western Sydney went to sleep with an iPhone 7 charging on her arm, and woke up to second degree burns on her hand. On visiting the doctor, she was advised a visit to the hospital. Apple has sent the phone for testing by a senior technician in California. Apple has confirmed to News.com.au that it is investigating the matter with Pelaez.
Apple also offered Ms Tan Pelaez a replacement iPhone, but she did not want it as she had lost faith in the company. Pelaez has been a long time Apple user and has not previously faced any problems with products by the company.
On returning the phone, Apple executives had said that the source of the burn injuries could not have been the phone as the phone was designed to cut off power on overcharging. Pelaez has visited the emergency room in the hospital twice because of the burns, and is exploring the option of plastic surgery to fix the scarring.
This is the second such incident from Sydney, Australia in recent memory. A biker had to punch the phone off his leg after the device burst into flames following a fall. An Apple iPhone 7 had reportedly exploded in China three days ago, after a 50 centimetre fall. For those fearing a repeat of the Samsung Galaxy Note 7 Fiasco, there were reports of over 30 Note 7 devices exploding over a course of a week.